« August 2005 | Main | October 2005 »

Ahron's Delicious Garlic Mushrooms

September 30, 2005

Ahron's Delicious (and easy) Garlic Mushrooms

This great and easy recipe for garlic mushrooms comes from my brother-in-law-to-be Ahron.

Add a little butter to a medium -hot fry pan, swoosh it around for 30 seconds or so. Throw in heaps of onion flakes and herb and garlic salt (I use masterfoods for both). I just do lots of shakes but if I had to measure I'd say about two teaspoons of each, and between two teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of butter for about 400g of mushrooms.

Let this fry nicely for 2-3 minutes. I prefer not to let it brown too much but it's fine if you do. If you desire you can add an extra clove of very finely diced mushrooms, but if doing so just put that in for the last 30 seconds to prevent it burning. You could also add some finely grated lemon rind, yum.

Add your mushrooms, roughly chopped (just quarter them if they are small to medium). A prefers to do small batches at a time, I am lazy and do about 400g-500g of mushrooms at once which is enough for two big breakfasts on toast, or enough for a side dish for 4 people.

It will look like heaps of mushrooms but they will shrink down substancially.

Stir the mushrooms around to coat them evenly in the seasonings.

After about 10 minutes, they are going to be nicely cooked. I will sometimes add a few squirts of lemon juice after about five minutes.

When they are cooked to your liking, season with black pepper and stir in some chopped parsley if you have it on hand. You could stir in some cream and cook for another minute or two if you were feeling expansive (I don't do this but may one day!), or a little extra butter.

Yum. Serve on grilled toast or sourdough, if you are a real garlic lover like me, then rub it with a cut clove of garlic first.

I have used these mushrooms to fill an omelette with great success, and also adapted the recipe to make delicious stir fried greens - I blanched the greens in boiling water and cooled them in ice water, then followed the recipe as if they were mushrooms (the cooking time was only about three minutes though). Very yummy.

Posted by lee_taylor at 12:24 PM | Comments (1846)

Comment Dillemma

September 20, 2005

Ever since my blog got an upgraded server, I don't get email notifications when a comment is posted to my blog which usually means I don't notice them for weeks afterwards! I have just gone in and cleared out heaps of spam comments and found some lovely comments from some lovely people and I feel terrible that it's taken me so long to notice.. M, if you are reading this, perhaps you can take a little look see for me.. :)

Posted by lee_taylor at 09:03 AM | Comments (7716)

Ugly Cookies / Honey Snap Cookies

September 11, 2005

These appeared in delicious mag march 05 as "chocolate & macadamia biscuits". The picture was so ugly, I theorized, that they must be seriously good.

And, they are. Here is the recipe with some slight adaptions.

Preheat oven to 140 degrees. Fan forced or not doesn't seem to matter.

Melt 100g unsalted butter, 160g caster sugar, 60g honey over a low heat till everything is melted and its nicely combined.

Meanwhile, measure out 1/2 cup plain flour and 2 large egg whites. Add the heated mixture to the flour, stir till combined, then add egg whites.

On a baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with baking paper, pour out one third of the mixture and by using a spatula or spoon or pasty scraper (or whatever you can get to work!) spread the mixture really thin, all the way out to each edge.

Now sprinkle on your toppings. I tried almonds on one, white chocolate and macadamia on another, and toblerone broken up on the third. The mix itself is very sweet, so my favourite result was the almonds. Next time If I use a sweet topping I will try replacing 40g of the sugar with flour (I'll let you know how that turns out). Anyway, innovate. Whatever tastes good. These are delicious plain, too, so whatever you like.

Bake for about 35 minutes or until a rich golden brown. If you cook two trays at once, swap them halfway during cooking.

Remove from oven, let cool on tray for 10 minutes, then use your hands to break them into large pieces. Then, enjoy! Store in airtight container.

If you don't want to bake it all at once, leftover mix can go in the frige and be reheated in the microwave, and will keep for a few days.

These are great with coffee or desert wine or on their own. I will definitely make them again.

Posted by lee_taylor at 03:26 PM | Comments (11874)

Peking Beef Recipe

Adapted from "Pork Chops Peking Style" in Women's Weekly Cookbook "Best recipes from the weekly"

peanut oil

500g beef fillet (eg rump) sliced for stir fry
desired vegetables (eg 2 - 3 cups of celery, onion, carrot, capsicum, champignons all sliced for stir fry)

1 TB cornflour
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil

2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger (optional)

diced pineapple (tinned is fine), optional.

sauce:
1 clove finely chopped garlic

3 TB rice vinegar (or other white vinegar)
3 TB tomato sauce
2 TB sugar

1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp sherry
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp chilli sauce, or to taste

Method:

Combine sauce ingredients and simmer in wok till thickened (about 10 minutes), then set aside

Meanwhile, toss beef fillet in cornflour and then stir in soy and sesame oil

Put a little peanut oil into hot pan and pan fry beef in batches for 2-3 minutes or until just cooked, then set aside

Pan fry vegetables for 2-3 minutes or until just cooked, then set aside.

Add a little more peanut oil into the pan and add in garlic and ginger. Swirl around for 30 seconds but don't let it burn. Add the beef, vegetables, pineapple, and sauce and combine for a minute, then you're done.

Posted by lee_taylor at 03:25 PM | Comments (1103)

Clapotis # 3, Scarf Swap

My scarf swap clapotis is finished. This is my third clapotis but my first altering the dimensions - it's just a skinny one. Done with a soft fuzzy novelty nylon blend held together with a 4ply black wool.

It is for my scarf swap recipient and I will post sometime this week!

It is a bit hard to see any detail from the photograph. I hope she likes it! It has a long way to travel, that is all I will say so as not to give anything away.

I enjoyed knitting it but will not do clapotis in a clingy or novelty yarn again as it is just too hard to drop the stitches! I kinda wished I'd used some of the lovely wendy dennis hand dyed wool I got from the bendigo sheep show, but too late now.

Posted by lee_taylor at 02:34 PM | Comments (1624)

Some Photos, need sorting

Fruit Kebabs

Chicken Tonight Chicken and Mushroom Risotto

Ahron's Easy Garlic Mushrooms

Posted by lee_taylor at 02:29 PM | Comments (3545)

More Brownie Action, Ugly Cookies

September 09, 2005

I had another go at Nikki Shell's excellent Brownie recipe, with some modifications this time. I even took photos I think, and may post them this weekend. Basically, I added more chocolate and cut back on the sugar a bit, and a teensy bit more flour. I was really happy with the result and will try them again soon.

I also tried a wafer thin yet very rich cookie from delicious magazine, which I also photographed.. This was a big hit and I'll definitely make it again.

So, will post those things shortly!

Posted by lee_taylor at 05:12 PM | Comments (4193)

Satay marinade, peanut sauce

On Sunday night I made satay chicken skewers with peanut and hoisin sauce, and nasi goreng on the side.

For 10 chicken skewers I used approximately 600g chicken tenderloins.

After I diced the tenderloins and threaded them onto wooden skewers which I had soaked in water for an hour, I marinated the skewers in this mix (recipe sourced here):

Mix together
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
2 teaspoons of brown sugar

If you wanted to make more skewers, or baste them while cooking, you could easily make 1.5x or 2x the marinade.

I grilled these on my george foreman grill until just cooked (avoid overcooking tenderloins, though you can get away with it with chicken thighs) and served with this lovely peanut and hoisin sauce I'd sampled a few weeks earlier at A, A, and O's.. (Thanks to A for the recipe). I have tried making peanut sauce a few times before and it has always been really gross but this one was lovely!

Peanut and Hoi-Sin Sauce:

4 Tbsp Water
4 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
7 Tbsp Crunchy Peanut Butter
8 Tbsp Hoi-Sin Sauce
1 Tbsp Hot Chilli Sauce
1 Tbsp Unsalted Peanuts, roasted and finely chopped.

Over low heat, warm the water, vinegar and peanut butter until blended.
Stir in the hoi-sin and hot chilli sauces.
Finish off by stirring in the chopped peanuts.

My modifications for next time: I think it was a little heavy on the hoi-sin so I might start with 4 tablespoons next time and then add to taste. It is a great recipe though, it's very close to my all time favourite peanut sauce you can buy which is the one that comes in the wraps of the world malaysian satay wrap kit, so I may do a taste test one day and see if I can figure out what I need to add to get it even closer, as it is very impractical to buy the wrap kit just for the little sauce sachet inside!

Posted by lee_taylor at 05:04 PM | Comments (1494)

Edible Gifts yum

September 02, 2005

Edible gifts advice, recipes, etc on epicurious.com

Posted by lee_taylor at 02:56 PM | Comments (5091)

lemon curd

I am enjoying a rather delicious lemon tart and hot chocolate as an impromptu morning tea. You see I've thrown my appetite out by eating yoghurt for breakfast, which leaves me feeling watery and yukky and craving substance.

Anyhoo, this reminds me to make a note to self to investigate making lemon curd at some stage, If I could do it well it would make a great gift.

Posted by lee_taylor at 12:13 PM | Comments (4936)